Monday, August 6, 2007

F is for (Greaze) Fest

EGG never ceases to amaze me. Well at first he didn't because he came up with most men would think of for f, but I told him it wasn't in the rules.


But then he showed me a couple of texts that his mates had sent and one had the magic words fortune teller. I was really annoyed because after he showed me that early in the week, I knew that was absolutely no chance that we were going to do that one and I really, really wanted to to go to a fortune teller even though my last visit to one was less than successful. That particular tarot card reader used a book (Tarot Cards for Dummies--I may have made that title up) and flicked back and forth from the index to read my fortune (I'm not making that bit up). EGG thought it hilarious and even though he got a good laugh out of it there was no way he was chancing a repeat of that little incident. He kept muttering about a good waste of $40 and how he could get a book from the library and tell my fortune for free.


What he did come up with however was GreazeFest. He told me on Saturday afternoon where we were going and I thought he meant a Greek festival. Hadn't we already done an Italian Festival, but no this was nothing like anything we had done before or quite possibly ever will again.


The festival was a rally for old hotted up cars. They were beautifully restored and very cool (and I'm not really into cars). The people at the festival were dressed up in fifties gear. Betty Boop was a huge style inspriration for the women (I thought she was just big with preteen girls, silly me)--short black fringes, tightly curled hair, but Betty didn't have the facial piercings that some of these women had. Men sported gravity defying updos with enough gel to cause an Exxon-sized oil slick. Skirts were full or really, really tight and men had cuffed jeans (boys, there is a very good reason why that look disappeared from the fashion calendar fifty years ago).


There was a whole industry of fashion for wannabe fifties boys, girls and cars. There were stalls for high heeled shoes, dancing shoes, badges for cars, badges for people, shirts, shirts and net petticoats.

So we oohed and aahhed over the cars for a bit, took lots of photos and looked on in stunned amazement at some of the people we saw. The music was great and I'm sorry we didn't stick around longer to see the dancing but as usual we arrived at lunch time and couldn't face the very long hamburger queue and I was hungry so we left in search of some decent food.


I'm not entirely sure that EGG has got away with this. I think GreazeFest is a g not an f, but I'll let him have it.


F is for (Greaze)Fest--fast cars and fashion?