Wednesday, August 1, 2007

B is for Black Book

EGG didn't have much to live up to after my A debacle, so I beyond surprised when he announced his B.

"We're going to see Black Book and we're going there on the bus," he announced.

Now you may think my surprise somewhat excessive, but when I explain EGG's history with foreign language film you will be as impressed with him as I was.

Last year, after a lovely lunch in James St, I decided that EGG and I would go to Palace Centro to see The Ax, a French language film that had been receiving great reviews. It is testimony to amount of wine that both EGG and I had drunk that we would even consider it--EGG is more of a kill and thrill movie type and usually I wouldn't be able to drag him to such a movie.

Before buying our ticket, EGG took a moment to quiz the attendant about the speed at which the sub titles appeared. "I'm not a very fast reader," he explained. After reassuring him that he would keep up, a mollified EGG enjoyed the movie (and managed to keep up with the sub titles).

However, I put it down to a one-off as I went to Palace and Dendy alone for the next ten months because those "reading movies" really were too much work for EGG.

Anyway he made a great choice and went to a lot of trouble to organise it. He looked up the times in the movie guide (a skill most married men lose about two minutes after the marriage ceremony), found the bus schedule on the internet, and organised me to be on time for both.

It was so worth it. What a fabulous movie. It had it all--spies, a mystery, double crossing, a treasure, torture (not too much said EGG), sex (not enough said EGG) and full frontal nudity (what a great movie said EGG).

B is for Black Book--brilliant.