Wednesday, August 1, 2007

D is for Drama

EGG really is getting good at this Alphabet Weekend thing. He announced that we were going to a Drama at the local town hall for a theatre group production.

You've probably got the idea that EGG is a typical Aussie bloke, so you can imagine how surprised I was by his choice--local drama in the town hall. Even I would never have come up with something like that, but the idea of this is to try new thing and EGG has really nailed it.

EGG admitted that he was having trouble verifying the booking he made over the phone, so he took me out for an early dinner near the location of the town hall so he could check out whether or not we had tickets--and we did.

We took our seats in the hall (there were about 15 of us) while EGG muttered that we could possibly escape at half time if it wasn't any good.

I don't know about good, but it certainly was different. The lights weren't turned down so much that I couldn't see the stunned look on EGG's face as one of the lead actors threw herself on stage screeching out lines from Shakespeare. I actually caught myself with my mouth agape, and made a conscious effort to shut it.

EGG started snickering and when I elbowed him in the side he whispered that he wished his mates were there. I'm glad they weren't. We went out at half time for a drink. EGG and I chose the red wine and drank it down very fast. Should we stick it out or make a quick getaway?

The fact that the audience was so small convinced us to stay and see it through to the end. We're heathens and it may have been very good, what would we know.

EGG regaled his friends the next day (they were watching the boxing--you see what I mean about him being a typical Aussie guy) with his Shakespearean rants.

I don't really think the play was a D for Drama. I think it was more a C for Comedy that was actually a T for Tragedy.

D is for Drama--damn.