Wednesday, November 28, 2007

N is for Nature Walk


There are a few things that I'm not overly fussed on. One of those is tripe--nasty stuff, smells bad, tastes worse, enough said. Another is warm champagne--no need to explain that one, it's a sin. But the one thing I think is vastly over-rated, and guaranteed not to make my heart jump, is nature. I can't stand nature, give me a five-star hotel any day of the week. Oh, it's a stunning sunset, I hear you say. But so is the new David Jones cosmetic section. Are those bird calls I hear? I'd rather listen to city traffic at 8am in the middle of the week.

So it was with a distinct lack of enthusiasm that I greeted EGG's proposal to go Nature Walking for our Alphabet Weekend. I'll cut him some slack here though, because it is a really hard letter, and I said he couldn't do his original choice which was n is for nothing.

I can't tell you how excited I was the night before our walk when it absolutely pelted rain. But of course it dawned a beautiful day and there was no escape for me. So off we went to Mt Glorious--oh joy.

Of course the first thing that greeted us was the sound of birds. Now I have a pathological hatred and fear of birds. I think they are going to attack me and peck me. A bit silly you may think, but this has actually happened to me. It was a vicious rainbow lorrikeet that gored me--it was about the size of a turkey (I may be exaggerating--slightly). It flew in through an open window, headed straight for me and got tangled up in my hair. Then (and this is true) it pecked me on the ear. It was truly terrible.

Of course, as luck would have it, that weekend they screened the movie The Birds, where poor Tippi Hedren got attacked by vicious birds (I know they looked as realistic as the shark in Jaws, but there was no reasoning with me). I knew just how poor Tippi felt and my relationship with all bird-like creatures was forever ruined.

EGG distracted me from the impending marauding birds by telling me to be careful on the muddy track. He had good reason for this because once I fell down a mountain. Are the pieces falling into place now as to why I hate nature? Actually it was a ravine, but as I fell all five metres, it certainly felt like a mountain to me. Fortunately only my pride was hurt, but I wasn't taking any chances this time.

So I tread my way carefully up the path as we headed to Greenes Falls. I tried really hard to appreciate nature. I pointed out that the bush turkey nest looked just like SSS's bedroom. EGG helped by pointing out that the area looked just like the place in Wolf Creek where the backpackers were murdered. Nature--bring it on.

We eventually arrived at Greenes Falls and frankly I felt a bit dudded. It was a pathetic little waterfall, but that didn't stop the professional bushwalkers (and I don't mean EGG and I) from revelling in it. They were literally sitting in the waterfall--with cups of coffee and trail mix, you know that chocolate and dried fruit stuff that keeps you going for hours and hours when you are a bushwalking pro even though it only took 30 minutes to get there.

The bushwalkers had backpacks and really serious boots with thick socks bunched up around the top of them. Actually I wish I had some of those boots because I was worried about getting mud on my runners which I wanted to wear them to the gym the next day.

EGG and I took a photo of each other and left the professionals to enjoy the sad waterfall.

All in all it wasn't a bad little outing. It hasn't made me appreciate nature any more, but as we moved to the car park I noticed a group of people that had been there an hour before we set off on our walk still examining the foliage of the same tree.

Now that would have been really boring.

N is for nature.