Monday, March 29, 2010

C is for Cat Stevens


We went to Cat Stevens yesterday. Isn't that exciting? I had no idea he sang so many cool songs.


Well it wasn't really Cat Stevens. It was a guy called Paul Dillon who did the show called Wide World and he sang and told the story of Cat Stevens. The show was chockablock full of old people. I think EGG and I brough the average age down by about 15 years. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not being judgemental but these people were pretty old. They were so old that some were wearing their mobile phones on their belts. Some were so old that they had walking sticks and were a huge chance of not making it up the stairs to their allotted seats.


Then it got me thinking, these old people were young, cool people once who probably lay around smoking pot, listening to Cat Stevens while having sex. Isn't that lovely, so I stopped judging and got into the groove (that's what they did in the early 70's isn't it, grooved).


There were lovely songs like Peace Train and Wide World all the time put into context from Paul Dillon's monologue. I just loved it. Not as much as the old man in front of me. He whooped and cheered and clapped and went off. Actually he was pretty badly behaved, but he had such a good time I forgave him. They should have had a mosh pit, that would have been a good place for him. One old lady got so emotional that she started crying. Gosh it was all happening.


At one stage Paul got us to sing the chorus to Morning Has Broken. EGG and I couldn't join in of course because we didn't know the words because we were a smidge too young. It's a lovely song Morning Has Broken. I'm thinking about it for my funeral song. Perhaps I spent too much time with the old people.


Anyway it got me thinking. Who will be our generation's Cat Stevens? Probably ABBA. Hope it's not Eminem.