Tuesday, February 19, 2008

R is for Rifle Shooting




EGG told me a big fat lie. He told me we couldn't go pistol shooting a couple of weeks ago because of Australian gun laws and that is not true. We didn't go pistol shooting because he was too lazy to organise it. (Oh and there was whole Sopranos violence issue I had going on at the time).

But he came good because for this week's Alphabet Weekend he took me Rifle Shooting and it was excellent.

Did you know lots of people go rifle shooting? It was 8:45am on a Sunday morning and the rifle range was packed. It didn't actually start off well for me because everytime someone shot their rifle I jumped. I was twitching around the place and starting to get a big headache and then I remembered the earplugs I'd brought. I put them in--problem solved.


I got me my big gun, my bullets, got some instruction and guess what--I can shoot--straight.

I am so relieved because over the past year of doing these Alphabet Weekends I had come to a horrific conclusion (and you probably have too). I am totally and utterly useless at doing anything physical. I drive slowly, have no balance and absolutely hate anything to do with physical exertion.
I has been with a heavy heart that I have realised that if the world is going to end and it is up to me to save the hero by stopping him from falling off a window saved only by my strong hand grip or that a car chase through the streets of the city will stop the evil poison from falling into the hands of the bad guy set to dominate the world then the world is doomed. Until I took up shooting. I can save the world with my dead straight aim. What a relief. (You can probably tell from the above that I watch far too much TV, but it really had me worried me).

A very nice man showed me how to load and unload my rifle. Did you know that rifle shooters are amongst the nicest people I've encountered while doing Alphabet Weekends? I must say I was surprised. I was expecting a lot of people called Bubba who spoke with slow American accents, wore baseball caps and had facial hair (again that TV thing). But no, they're nothing like this. There was even a lady there wearing pearls who looked more likely to be going to high tea than the rifle range. Just goes to show that you (maybe I) shouldn't judge.


EGG of course got a great big gun and great big bullets. But I was happy with my nice little 22 and shot happily away, hitting my target and generally showing off. EGG reckons I was lucky and that his target was much further away and that I had to stop making fun of him. I might give him a few pointers next time so he doesn't pout so much.


See the picture of my target here and my rifle set up. Very pro. Obviously EGG doesn't want anyone to see his target.


If anyone needs me to save the world you know where to find me.


R is for Rifle Shooting.